- "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot are you talking about? Of course you can control it, you 'tard!"
- "Duh! What else is new? Nothing's ever under control."
This 'moving' crap is a classic case in point. House-selling is a major one: you can lead the horse to water and all that shit. Since said house is a major possession of ours and since we really can't actually control anything but the 'leading to water' bit, here's a cause for major stress and impatience; with 'faith' being sorely tested: faith that we're doing the right thing.
Ahh, faith. Usually and by the time it gets to this point—wherever that point is we're at right now—it at least appears entirely evidentially flimsy, to say the least. Sometimes, I guess, you just gotta hang in there. Actually, I take that back, you've always got to 'hang in there', because that kind-of the prerequisite for everything else.
And, yes, a decision was made, to take certain items of furniture that have been with us for decades; because ultimately we could never replace them, and even if we replaced them with crap it'll cost us much more than transporting it across the Tasman will. So, there's one lot of possessions we're not going to let go of. We were seriously thinking about it, but there's also the factor of selling this stuff, which could become quite a pain in the ass, and would probably have ended up with us being very unhappy about getting a pittance for what for us has some historical context-meaning. But this instantly doubled the volume of stuff we're taking. So much for living out of two suitcases!
To end with, allow me to change perspective from mundane matters of moving: to nudge some people I care about into directions I think they need to think about—and, yes, I know: you can lead a horse...blahblahrhubardrhubarb...—here are a few quotes from my current list of favorite sayings, some of which come from Randy Pausch's last lecture at CMU; some from other places. I know, they're just quotes, but they're good ones. Those to whom they are addressed—some of them to myself, as I don't mind admitting; but some definitely to very specific people—will hopefully understand that it is they I am talking to. So, here's to wishing they're reading and damn-well listening!
- We cannot change the cards we're dealt; just how we play them.
- Things more important than your childhood dreams: wife and kids.
- Most of what we learn, we learn by learning something completely different than we think we're learning.
- Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want something; and to keep out those who don't want it enough.
- Wait a little longer and most people will surprise and impress you. If they're not doing it, it's possibly because you haven't given them enough time.
- It's very important to know when you're in a pissing match; and it's very important to get out of it as quickly as possible.
- You have to be lost to find a place that can't be found.