Sunday, March 02, 2008

Roaches

Confession: I detest cockroaches. They are...well, yuk. I used to feel that way about spiders, but I don't anymore. Spiders are bizarre and strange and sometimes dangerous but cool. Cockroaches on the other hand, and especially big ones (>0.5') and even more especially real big ones (>1')...ahh...puke. Eeek. Shudder. I remember 3+' ones from my travels in South America years ago. These memories are the stuff of nightmares.

So, today, when I was taking apart the old kitchen in our new house, in order to prep it for the installation of a new one, and when I demolished old cabinets and found underneath them, in what had always been a place of dank darkness, the carcasses of several sizable roaches, who had died there because someone shoved a bit of killing paper (paper impregnated with poison) into that dark place; and when I found the leftovers of decades I daresay of roach-shit...eeeyaak!

Almost make me rethink my intention to have lunch. Shoulda had it before dismantling this particular cabinet... But I didn't, and there was the shit and the corpses and the filth and...

Did I lose my appetite? Not! The human capacity for compartmentalization is amazing. I managed to have lunch and not one be troubled by the images of the 1+' roach corpses lying in state in their excrement.

I do hope I'm getting the image across. Truth is, I'm just trying to gross you out. But you knew that, right?

2 comments:

Greg said...

Good to see that your into the renovations with all its discoveries.

Till said...

Some things could do with being undiscovered.